When you change the way you view your birth, the way you birth will change.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is HypnoBirthing®?
HypnoBirthing® is a birth philosophy that prepares expectant parents in the best way possible for a relaxed, joyous birthing experience. It is based on the philosophy that childbirth is a normal, natural event and firmly believes that birthing should be a rewarding, relaxing and stress free experience where babies come into the world in and atmosphere of calm, gentility and joy.
It uses a well structured combination of deep relaxation, self hypnosis, special breathing techniques, visualisations, affirmations and education that empower Women and their Birth Companions. HypnoBirthing® returns to a woman the art and excitement of birthing her baby in a way that allows her to summon her natural birthing instincts to birth her baby safely and with ease without fear.
Hypnobirthing® – The Mongan Method is a well established antenatal education program with over 25 years of experience, 16 years in Australia. It was founded in 1989 by Marie Mongan and is now internationally established in over 45 countries!
Does HypnoBirthing® really work?
In my many years of experience as a Midwife, I can tell you that I have witnessed first hand that Women who have done HypnoBirthing® courses are able to have more natural, calm and shorter birthing experiences. So YES, I know that it works!
Studies show that when a woman feels relaxed, safe and supported through childbirth there is a:
- 50% Reduction in the caesarean rate
- 25% Shorter labour
- 60% Reduction in epidural requests
- 40% Reduction in Syntocinon use
- 30% Reduction in analgesia (Pain relief) use
- 40% Reduction in Forceps delivery
Is HypnoBirthing® a course just for me?
HypnoBirthing® is for both you AND your birthing companion, because they are going to be there with you throughout your pregnancy and during your birth so it is important they know what to do to support you along the way. Your birthing companion may be your Partner, your Mum, your best friend or doula… whoever will be your biggest support and will be there for your birth. HypnoBirthing® will teach them techniques they can use to support you every step of the way. These techniques can even be used after the birth in everyday life.
Whatever you are planning for your birth, Home Birth, Birth Centre, Hospital Birth…HypnoBirthing® is for you!
Whoever you want by your side at your birth, your partner, your mum, your sister, your children, a Midwife, a Doctor, or a Doula…HypnoBirthing® is for you!
When should I start a HypnoBirthing® course?
I recommend starting your course between weeks 20 & 34 of pregnancy. This gives you enough time to complete the course while still ensuring that your newly learnt techniques will be fresh in your mind for the big moment. If you wish to complete a short refresher class prior to birth this can be arranged.
What will we learn in HypnoBirthing® classes?
The course is taught over a 5 week period in 2.5 hour sessions. You will receive the HypnoBirthing® book, CD and Rainbow Relaxation MP3 Download tracks by Marie Mongan. You also receive the class handouts, relaxation scripts and birth preferences template.
Group and private classes are available.
Group: Five x 2.5 hour Sessions (running each week for 5 weeks)
Price: $550.00 includes HypnoBirthing® Book and downloadable MP3 card plus all course handouts
Participants: there are generally 3 – 5 couples in each class. Never more than 6 couples
Private: Five x 2.5 hour Sessions (running each week for 5 weeks)
Price: $800.00 includes HypnoBirthing® Book and downloadable MP3 card plus all course handouts
Participants: Just you and your birth companion. These sessions are held in the privacy of your own home at a time convenient to you.
Here’s what you will learn in your classes:
- Everything you need to know to achieve a safer, easier and more comfortable birth
- How to give birth with confidence and calm
- The role of your birth companion in supporting and advocating for you and your baby
- Become informed on your choices
- What’s ‘gone wrong’ with labour as we know it, why and how to overcome it
- What the Fear-Tension-Pain syndrome is, how to avoid it and reduce pain
- Relaxation and self-hypnosis to eliminate fear and tension through pregnancy and birth
- Techniques of deep relaxation, massage and visualisation during labour
- Special breathing techniques to have a shorter, more comfortable labour
- How your body is naturally designed to conceive, nurture and birth your baby with ease and comfort
- How to greatly reduce the need for drugs and other interventions
- How to get the support you desire from your support team
- How to create your body’s own natural pain relief
- Natural ways to stimulate labour without chemical induction
- The importance of bonding before and after the birth of your baby
- Gentle birthing techniques that allow you to avoid hard physical pushing and tearing
- A toolbox of techniques that will not only change your birth but will also change your life
- How to become a more conscious parent
Will my Midwife/Doctor know about HypnoBirthing®?
Most Midwives and Doctors are familiar with HypnoBirthing® and its amazing benefits. It is a good idea to keep your Midwife/Doctor up to date about what you are learning in your HypnoBirthing® classes so that they know what you will be trying to achieve when the big day comes and can help facilitate your needs during the birth. We provide you with the information you will need to do this.